The Five Dangers in Your Office That Can’t Be Seen By The Naked Eye

An employee getting sick

The office is the second home of some employees. On average, workers spend about 35 hours in the office, with some spending a lot more. For example, it’s estimated that millennials spend about 44 hours in the office each week.

With that much time spent in the office, creating a comfortable and conducive space is essential to productivity. However, you must also eliminate invisible dangers in your office. If you don’t know what they are, here are some of them.

Invisible Gases

Invisible gases are present in every office. They can come from printers, cleaning supplies, and even underground. There are two well-known invisible gases. The first of which is carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide

This particular gas is produced when there’s incomplete combustion of carbon-containing materials. It’s often found in office buildings because of old and inefficient heating systems. Exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to headaches, dizziness, nausea, and even death. You can eliminate it by using powerful air purifiers around your office. You can also open your windows to let the air out once in a while. Also, remember to get your heating systems checked annually.


This gas a naturally-occurring gas that comes from the decomposition of uranium in rocks and soil. Radon can enter your office through cracks in the foundation or flooring. Once it’s inside, it can accumulate and reach dangerous levels. Exposure to high levels of radon can cause lung cancer.

To get rid of it, you need to have a professional test your office for radon gas. Once you know the radon level in your office, you can take the necessary steps to eliminate it. These steps include sealing cracks in the foundation, increasing ventilation, and installing a radon gas removal system.

A macro look into mold


People know that some of the living things in the world are invisible to the naked eye. That’s why mold is often ignored until it becomes a problem. Mold can cause serious health problems, such as respiratory issues, skin irritation, and headaches. It can also trigger asthma attacks.

The best way to get rid of mold is to prevent it from growing in the first place. You can control humidity levels and keep your office clean and dry. If you see mold, make sure to clean it up immediately. You should also fix any leaks to prevent moisture from building up.


You may not be able to see viruses, but they can still make you sick. The flu virus, for example, is spread through coughing and sneezing. It can also stay on surfaces for up to 48 hours. The recent COVID-19 virus also spread through coughing, sneezing, and contact with contaminated surfaces.

To protect yourself from these viruses, make sure to practice good hygiene. Wash your hands regularly and disinfect surfaces often touched, such as doorknobs, phones, and keyboards. You should also encourage employees to stay home if they’re sick. Some vaccinations can help your employees to protect themselves against these viruses.


Dust may not be harmful, but it can be a problem for people with dust allergies. Dust mites are tiny creatures that live in dust and thrive in humid environments. They’re known to cause respiratory problems, such as asthma and rhinitis.

To get rid of dust, you need to clean your office regularly. Vacuum carpets and upholstered furniture. Dust hard surfaces with a damp cloth. You should also keep the humidity levels in your office low to prevent dust mites from thriving. It’s also good to bring more sunlight into your office. You should also do your best to reduce mold growth by keeping the place heated and dry.


This particular danger is often found in older office buildings. Asbestos was once used in insulation, flooring, and ceiling tiles, and it’s known to cause lung cancer and other respiratory diseases.

If you suspect that your office has asbestos, don’t try to remove it yourself. Instead, you should have a professional do it for you. Once the asbestos is removed, keep the area clean and dry to prevent it from returning. Also, avoid renting in old office buildings, and get the room inspected beforehand. It’s one of the best ways to prevent abestos before getting exposed to it.

The office is a second home for many employees, so it’s important to make sure it’s a safe and comfortable space. Unfortunately, offices are filled with invisible dangers that can harm your health. These dangers can be problematic for your office in the long run. Make sure to get rid of them by following the tips above.

Scroll to Top